Christmas card for brother's separated wife

My brother and his wife recently separated. They have a young adult son (living on his own). They have not told their son about their separation, and may not until Christmas (or afterwards). I would like to send my sister-in-law a Christmas card, but am concerned that if I address it just to her that I risk divulging the split to their son. He is apt to be at the mother's home at some time and could see the card. I am worried that if I address the card to "The XXX family" that it will hurt my sister-in-law. Since it is even possible that they will reconcile before the holiday, I am at a loss as to how to proceed.

How should I address a Christmas card to my sister-in-law?

Comments for Christmas card for brother's separated wife

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Christmas Card
by: Ms P Etiquette

Dear Sister-in-law,

​Instead of making an issue out of the Christmas card, send one to the whole family and then call or send a note to your brothers wife letting her know that you care for her and are still her friend. She is probably appreciate it very much.

Ms. Practical Etiquette​

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Miss Manners.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Search Our
Family of Sites

Translate the Page

Find Your Roots


Follow Us on

Become a
Facebook Fan