how to sign the card

My daughter-in-law's mother died. How should I sign the card?

Should I sign it Mom or just my first name? What is appropriate and will be received well?

Comments for how to sign the card

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Card Signing
by: Ms P Etiquette

Hello Mother in Law,

Please sign the card with the same name you use in your relationship with your daughter-in-law. Is she calls you Mom, then that is your name. However, if it makes you more comfortable, sign Mom Smith or Mom Mary. Of course, use your own name! Because her mother has passed away isn't a reason for you to change your name used in your relationship. In fact, it may give her comfort to know she still has you in her life.

Ms. Practical Etiquette

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Miss Manners.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Search Our
Family of Sites

Translate the Page

Find Your Roots


Follow Us on

Become a
Facebook Fan