by Diane
(Mississauga, Ontario, Canada)

My sons girlfriend addressed a birthday card to me calling me by my first name, which I don’t feel comfortable with.

In addressing a birthday card to her, will it be appropriate to write from Mrs. Diane Z.

Comments for Mother

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Signing a Card
by: Ms P Etiquette

Dear Mrs. Diane,

It is your prerogative as to how you are addressed. Perhaps you should speak to your son and have him speak to his girlfriend so as not to embarrass her. At least acknowledge that she sent you a birthday card. It is difficult, today, to know how people wish to be addressed as the times have shifted to a more informal way of speaking.

Thank you for your questions,

Ms. Practical Etiquette

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Miss Manners.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Search Our
Family of Sites

Translate the Page

Find Your Roots


Follow Us on

Become a
Facebook Fan